Thursday, November 15, 2018


How my vintage sewing machine obsession started:
Vintage Machine # 1


I was in a thrift store last November (2017) and saw this little beauty for sale for $89.  It had just been dropped off that morning.

 





I honestly thought it was a toy.  But I wanted it so that I could display it in my sewing room because it was so cute!  I called Lee and asked him if it was ok if I spent $89 on it and he said no problem.

Little did I know that because I am over 55, I would get a senior discount, bringing the price down to $71.20.

After I got it home and looked at the manual I started googling Singer Featherweights and found out I had really gotten a bargain!  The white ones are more desirable because there were fewer of them made than the black ones.  The white ones were made in the early 1960’s, but the black ones were made from 1933 until 1961!

I noticed that people name these machines, many times after their original owners.  Well, since mine came from a thrift store, I had no idea who the original owner was.  Time to start figuring a name for “her”.  The best thing (not very good) I could come up with was Elizabeth, my middle name. So I mentioned that to Lee, while also telling him that I had figured out she was made in Great Britain.  He then said I should name her “Adele”.  I was thinking inside my head – uh, what? And why?  And then he said because she is a singer from Great Britain!  So, this first machine is now named Adele Elizabeth.  And she sews beautifully!



No comments: